Ministry of Attorney General - Facilities Management Information System
Winner of the Gold award at GTEC in 2008.
The Facilities Management Information System (FMIS) is a comprehensive enterprise-wide information management solution that is leveraging the Ontario GeoPortal solution at Innfrastructure Ontario.
FMIS is enabling the Ministry of Attorney General (MAG) - Facilities Management Branch to manage all their corporate data in one integrated and secure environment.
With a portfolio of 238 facilities consisting of 5.8M rentable square feet with a value of $127 million, the existing Excel spreadsheets and M/S Access dB could not accommodate the project management, communication, finance, asset management, and leasing needs of the branch. A new solution based on best-of-class technologies was needed that could support the requirements of the Ministry.
The solution has:
1. Provided the ministry a solution that supports the management of:
- all asset business data (courthouse state, location, maintenance, assets);
- all ministry leases for government-owned and leased space;
- client information about facility needs to support asset management planning;
- Branch financial processes (e.g. integration with account payables);
- all related corporate documents.
It provides custom and ad-hoc reporting capabilities; a geographic view of all ministry assets and access to all related data held in IO’s business systems; and, automated sharing of common data between IO and MAG. The system supports data replication that allows IO’s asset and lease data to flow directly into the FMIS business database.
2. Provided IO with a core solution that all provincial ministries could use.
IO is assisting other ministries with similar information management challenges, and saving them the cost and effort of developing their own solutions.
3. Allowed IO and MAG to access and analyze common data.
IO and MAG work together on a real property and facilities acquisition/disposition and management process. The sharing of relevant data promotes timely and accurate decision-making and reduces effort and costs. It enables for multiple participants to work on the same process with the same information.